Sunday, January 29, 2012

Don't Call It A Meat Heist

Hello to the many millions of people reading this. Welcome to my very first blog, which is sure to change the world in the very near future. Forthwith and all.

I am an atheist who has recently been forced to re-think some things and question my atheism. I've been an atheist for about 12 years, and while I've certainly lost debates before, I recently got my ass handed to me in a most decisive manner. (Thanks, Terry!) It made me realize that I didn't have as good a grasp on things as I thought I did. Thuslywise, this blog is my attempt to re-assess some things in a genuinely open manner. I honestly feel the way I did many years ago when I first began questioning my Christian faith. (Perhaps at some point I'll post my deconversion story.) I am now engaged in a process of investigation, and I sincerely don't know where I'll end up at the "end" of this process. Actually, there will probably never be an "end" to this; I'll probably continue to investigate the God question for the rest of my life. At any rate, this is an incredibly exhilarating, humbling, and scaryfying place to be.  

I'll be taking my cue from Luke at Common Sense Atheism, who has posted this "Ultimate Truth-Seeker Challenge." It sucks that just as I'm deciding to begin this blog Luke has decided to shut down CSA. I really hate to see you go, Luke! But I'm hella looking forward to Worldview Naturalism!

So basically, I'll be blogging my way through the books on this list, with a few other tidbits here and there. Once I'm finished with the list, I may continue the blog. We'll see if The Throng continue to demand my blood when we get to that point.

I'm a little concerned that much of the material on this list is way over my head. Brilliant as I may be, I have no expertise in either philosophy or science. I am but a layperson with an incredible passion for both. Which means I will most likely get things wrong from time to time. (Though, admittedly, this will always be someone else's fault.) When this happens, please correct me, but don't be a dick about it. (Being a dick is my job!) This also means that I'm likely to change my mind considerably over the course of this investigation. Any conclusions reached along the way will be tentative at best. So is the way of the open-minded truth-seeker. How effin noble am I?

Given the fact that I'm not an expert in science or philosophy, I'll be studying some of the basics on the side, which I'll discuss as I see fit.

One penultimate note about the narcissism of the blogosphere. I've long dismissed blogs and various social networking sites as being the epitome of self-aggrandizing, self-promotey, selfishy, selfiness, and I kinda hate that kinda thing. So where does a snob like me get off engaging in such crude behavior? Whence then this blog?

Um...I've sort of changed my mind (read with valley-girl upspeak). I've been reading a lot of blogs lately, and there is a lot of good stuff out there. There's a lot of educational, substantial information and discussion to be gleaned and engaged with. I want to contribute to that growing content, in my own immense, awesome, manly meager, humble, folksy manner. Also, I think the concept of an atheist genuinely grappling with the arguments for and against God in an open-minded fashion could be interesting reading for the masses. (How's that for passive-aggressive narcissism?)

As for the...ahem...less than substantial blogs, etc. I've come to think there is a place for that sort of thing as well. My wife loves that crap. Human beings are complex and multitudinous. We can embrace the snootiest of the snobby high-brow whilst appreciating the intricacies and sophistication of the lowest of the low-brow. So, you know, suck on that, and tell me how it tastes.

Finally, I've already received hundreds of questions about this, so I'll deal with it now and get it over with. Sorry to disappoint; itsmeatheist.blogspot.com is not intended to say "It's Meat Heist," but rather "It's Me Atheist." I can understand your confusion. Just so we're clear, I'm a vegan and an animal-rights advocate; I will not be engaging in any sort of meat heistery. Funk off for thinking otherwise.

Revvy Pudge, Out!






5 comments:

  1. The best to you, where ever this journey takes you. I look forward to your next blog Rev. Thanks for your humor and honesty. Good stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking today that I would be really interested in a post on your "three necessary conditions for believing in God" (I'll leave it up to you to explain those in future posts) that we've discussed in the past. It seems like this Truth-Seeker challenge might only mostly satisfy one (i.e. the rational/logical arguments for God being better) of those conditions. It's possible you've re-thought those conditions since we last spoke or this TSC might change your mind about them. Alternatively, maybe there is a way of reconciling it all without having to modify any of that (a la a Pamela Gay type skeptic). Either way, It would make for interesting reading.

    I look forward to criticizing your television tastes! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. James who are called James,

    Kinder words were ne'er spoke. May your own journey be lighted by the torches of reason and compassion; heated by the fuel efficient furnace of regular passion; and nourished by the gluten-free, HFCS-free, preservative-free food of the gods.

    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruce Smith who art not called Bruce Smith for reals,

    Capital idea! Fantabulous idea! Superlatively splendid if I do say so indeed! I shall commence to it at once. Or perhaps some time before the end of this fiscal year.

    Oh, and uh, Mr. Smith. My televizzle tastes are UNIMPEACHABLE!

    Forty-two blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Religion is a black whole, that folds constantly into itself much like our laws. There seems to me to be always a constant placement and displacement of righteousness, and our role in that is forever changing. May your pursuit of an "answer" provide some type of conformation to this God logic that has such infested almost all walks of life .

    ReplyDelete